Blueberry-Pomegranate Balsamic Basque Cheesecake
At Acid League, we pride ourselves on our love of adventure and experimentation. We’re known to tinker with ingredients, mix flavors that “shouldn’t” be combined, and randomly happen upon creations that we later realize we can’t live without.
It’s in this spirit that most of these recipes were concocted—guided by imagination over exact measurement. Our goal is to inspire home cooks to do the same, and we hope readers use these recipes as a starting point instead of a precise rulebook to be followed.
Have fun and enjoy culinarily coloring outside the lines!
The best cheesecakes are marked by a perfect tension between sour and sweet, using that creamy batter as a base for a burst of bold flavor. So it is with this take on a classic Basque cheesecake: It's built on a delightful cookie crust, fired to your desired level of toasty goodness, and smothered in a super-bright, balsamic-laced compote.
* Can't find Blueberry Pomegranate near you? Try our Wild Berry Balsamic instead!
Buckwheat Tempeh & Cinnamon Crust
|1/3 cup||Buckwheat flour|
|1/2 cup||Biscoff cookie crumbs (or graham cracker-like biscuit of choice)|
|7 tbsp||Butter, melted|
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 9-inch round springform pan with parchment paper (making sure to extend past the edges).
- In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients together. Top with melted butter, and mix together until evenly distributed.
- Press the crumbs into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes, until set. Remove from oven and set aside.
Blueberry-Pomegranate Balsamic Compote
|1/4 cup||Acid League Meyer Lemon Honey Living Vinegar|
|3 tbsp||Acid League Blueberry Pomegranate Balsamic Living Vinegar|
- Place 1 pint of blueberries and 1 pint of raspberries into a medium-small pot. (Set aside remaining pint of blueberries.) Add Meyer Lemon Honey, water, and sugar to the blueberries in the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes, until compote coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Add remaining blueberries to the pot. Boil on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take off heat and allow compote to slightly cool. Mix in Blueberry Pomegranate Balsamic.
Basque Cheesecake Filling
|500 g||Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature|
|500 g||Mascarpone cheese, room temperature|
|7||Eggs, room temperature|
|325 g||Sugar (add or remove 25 g to adjust sweetness to taste!)|
|1/2 cup||Heavy cream|
Method & Assembly
- Preheat oven to 410 F.
- Using an electric mixer or whisk, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Pour cheesecake filling into par-baked crust.
- Bake for 35-50 minutes on center rack of oven to desired level of doneness. (Leaving the cake in for longer will result in a firmer centre and a more browned top.)
- Let cake sit until room temperature. Refrigerate for 5 hours or overnight for best results.
- Pour compote over cheesecake before serving.